Why is sunscreen so important, specifically in the Pacific Northwest?
There are a million reasons to wear a quality, medical grade SPF daily, even in the dark winter months here in the Pacific Northwest. When a client asks me “What is one product I need to prevent the aging process and keep a healthy glow?” My immediate response is always wear SPF, everyday no matter the weather. As an aesthetician I see your skin and can tell immediately if SPF has not been in your daily care regimen. Here are a few benefits.
- Prevents skin cancer. Did you know Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer?
- Prevents fine lines and wrinkles
- Prevents discoloration
- Calms inflammation
- Protect from the degradation of facial capillaries. Who likes spider veins?
- Protects from accumulated exposure from driving in our car, walking to and from stores, flying in a plane and sitting by the window at home or work.
- Protects your investment of in office treatments such as lasers, fillers, Botox & chemical peels.
- Protects your investment of medical grade skin care products you use daily. When you don’t wear your daily SPF you are stalling your progress and/or reversing progress.
Did you know rain or shine our skin is still susceptible to skin damage caused by UV rays? Even with the thick Washington cloud cover those nasty UVA rays are still strong!! Unprotected exposure, even in the winter months allows those UVA rays to penetrate deep into the dermis, the skin’s thickest layer. This leads to skin cancer and premature aging. According to the
American Academy of Dermatology 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer in their life time, and according to data from the Washington State Cancer Registry, the rates have been increasing by about 2 percent per year, we are currently 23% higher than the national average, and we are in the top 10 states for the highest rates of newly diagnosed melanoma cases. What a scary statistic. So, what can you do? WEAR A DAILY SPF.
What kind of Sunscreen is the best sunscreen? I recommend to all my clients to use a Medical Grade broad spectrum sunscreen daily. Broad spectrum means you will be protected from both UVA & UVB of at least an SPF 30. Our personal favorite is the PCA Skin Weightless Protection!
Northwest Aesthetics located in both Bellevue and Kent carries a wide variety of medical grade sunscreens for all skin types, talk to your aesthetician about which one is best for you.