Did you know acne affects over 80% of the population during their teen years, ranging from mild, to moderate to severe and 50% of teenage acne will continue to adulthood. This can lead to self-consciousness, scarring and even bullying. So, what can you do as their parent and what can they do for themselves. While most acne is caused from a huge influx of hormones while entering their teenage years there are still measures which can be taken to reduce or even clear teen acne.
Three Major factors in the development of acne:
- Increased sebum production (oil)
- Bacteria on the skin
- Over production of epithelial cells (skin) inside the follicle which leads to clogs.
5 ways your teen can help prevent acne:
- Change your pillowcase every other day. Your pillow case collects sweat, dirt and hair products.
- Clean your cell phone with an antibacterial wipe at least once a week. It touches your face a lot, and you touch a lot of not so clean areas, think restrooms, door handles, gas stations and so much more.
- Wash your makeup brushes weekly. Use a gentle cleanser, brush cleanser or facial cleanser. This keeps you from spreading bacteria, oil and dirt around.
- Keep your hands off your face. Unless you just washed your hands they are loaded with dirt and bacteria.
- Don’t dry out your skin. It’s a myth amongst so many and especially teens that we need to dry out our skin for the breakout to go away. This can actually cause more breakouts. When we “dry” out our skin our body responds by producing more oil. Limit hot showers, use water based moisturizers and serums.
What can you do as a parent?
Most importantly, get your teen on a good homecare system. Something simple they will use. I recommend finding an esthetician who you trust and schedule a consultation and facial for your teen. I have found over the years teens do not like hearing it from their parents but respond so much better to an outsider who is more their age and can really break it down to why taking care of your skin is so important. Even if your child has clear skin, teach them young to care for their skin. Once they reach the teenage years or start breaking out it will be so much easier to make adjustments to their regimen vs starting fresh!!
At Northwest Aesthetics we customize each facial to our clients’ needs and only use the best medical grade products. Did you know Northwest Aesthetics offers a great acne control system?
ACNE CONTROL SYSTEM $125
• Salicylic Face & Body Wash
• Glycolic Gel (10 min peel)
• Green Tea Antioxidant Serum (Hydrating & Mattifying)
• Acne Spot Treatment (reduces redness and swelling)
Schedule an appointment today, your teen will thank you for it.